Friday, April 12, 2013

Gears: A sort of love letter...

Last Friday was kind of a crappy day for me. It just one of those days (kinda like Friday where I had a case of the "Mondays". Ever had that before?) and I felt like getting lost in a good video game. I knew that would make me feel better. And what better game than Gears of War. It was Gears of War 2 specifically that I selected from our library of video games downstairs. My absolute favourite game series for MANY reasons. I played for two hours, getting lost in the story, the characters and the world of Sera. Why do I love Gears of War so much? Well, there are a few reasons...

To begin with it is the first video game I have ever completed from start to finish. Nope. Not kidding here. I have been playing video games since the age of 7 and it was the first video game I EVER finished. Since then, I've finished a few more, including Halo 3, Bioshock, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (I get it...those are a few years old. Shhhuuusssshhhh....). Not only did I complete it once but Jeremy and I went back a played the first one nearly all the way through on INSANE difficulty level. You have no idea how much patience this takes (and how much I swear while playing). We have yet to finish it. And where we left of is laughable. The last damn level! We spent nearly two hours one day trying to finish it ON THE SAME DAMN LEVEL! We haven't went back to revisit it since that day and all I remember from it is swearing...a lot.

It's the first game Jeremy and I ever played through together, just the two of us. I was living in Peterborough going to school and he was in Goderich. It was a way we could "hang out" even though we were four hours apart. It also helped me unwind from school. There were some Friday and Saturday nights where we'd play, me in Peterborough and him in Goderich, for hours and hours. It was awesome.

Marcus Fenix...my first video game crush ever. He remains my favourite video game character. I latched onto Marcus within 30 seconds of starting this game and I played as him throughout the game. To this day, when Jeremy and I play a Gears of War game (well, original Gears, 2 & 3), I always play as Marcus. It's the way it is and is an unwritten law of the universe ;) No, it's not Marcus' physique I'm after though I do love his rugged looks. I love his character, his personality, his backstory. It's also his eyes. Their is something about his eyes. Oh, and it's his voice. That rugged, sexy voice of Marcus Fenix. Yup, I love everything about Marcus Fenix...

Marcus, you sexy beast...


The graphics. Gears of War is a visually stunning game. It's one of the reasons why I got so drawn into the world. Yes, it's a lot of greys but to me, it's a visually beautiful game and it sets the mood and tone from the moment in the first game where Marcus is leaving the prison.

There is a mood to Gears, a certain tone. You are playing as characters who are fighting for their home and through the graphics, complexity of the characters and the story that mood is set.

 This is one of the most complex story lines I have encountered in a game. I was drawn into the world of Sera and all these characters. There is so much there. There is Marcus and his backstory and Dom and his search for his lost wife, Maria. I don't want to spoil too much for you in case you decide to go play this game.

Now as much as I've just gone on and on about this game, I have not yet finished Gears of War 2 OR 3 and I have yet to play Gears of War: Judgement. Games have kind of fallen on the wayside for me in the past couple of years but now I'm playing them again a lot more than I was. I've missed them and that's why I'm going to plug away at the Gears games. Not only are the Gears of War games amazing but sometimes, I just love getting lost in the world of Sera with these four awesome dudes:

My four favourite guys in the world of video games:
Baird, Cole, Fenix & Santiago.
I'll leave you with the trailer for Gears of War 2. I remember when this first came out, I had chills when I watched it. I love the song and I can never take my eyes off Marcus:


Namaste :)

No comments:

Post a Comment