Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Trifecta of awesome in the world of baking...

I had an abundance of over-ripe bananas in my kitchen. Over-ripe bananas = TIME TO BAKE! Yesterday, I made a banana loaf which Jeremy took into work him today (one of the things I love about baking is sharing with people). So, that banana loaf used up four of the bananas. That left two on my counter so clearly, I needed to bake something else.

Searching around on Clean Eating magazine's website, I stumbled upon a recipe that melds together the trifecta of awesome: BANANA, PEANUT BUTTER, & CHOCOLATE!! The recipe I made today is Banana & Peanut Flaxseed Cookies. And yes, they have chocolate chips. They were listed as an "optional" addition and to me, chocolate is NEVER optional. Agreed? Yes. It's just like fork marks on peanut butter. IT IS A MUST!

Cookies all set to go in the oven.
Note the fork marks.
The recipe was super-simple, is egg & dairy free and instead of pastry flour, you could use spelt or oat flour. Personally, I love using oat flour for cookies. It adds a really nice flavour and is easy to bake with. Also, if you can find gluten-free oat flour, it'd be easy to make a gluten-free version of these cookies.
All done!!
You can find the full recipe here on Cleaning Eating's website and I also created a document of it in Google docs which you can access here:


  • 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (I used oat flour)
  • 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 medium banana
  • 3/4 cup of maple syrup
  • 1 cup of natural peanut butter
  • 2 teaspoon natural vanilla
  • 1/4 cup of chocolate chips
I mixed the dry ingredients together. Next, I mixed the wet ingredients together. I added wet to dry and mixed the batter using my Kitchen Aid mixer. The yield according to Clean Eating is 28 cookies but I ended up with a very random number of 37. I generally make smaller cookies.

A plate full of cookies! All 37 of them...
And how did they turn out? Jere enjoyed them! They aren't as sweet as other peanut butter cookies I have made but the flavours all blend together quite nicely and I would definitely make them again.

Namaste!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment