Saturday, April 13, 2013

Yay! It worked...

So, the sprouting has worked! Well, at least for the lentils. The kidney beans are starting to sprout but they are going to take longer than the lentils did. Anyway, here's the lentils after sprouting:

Ta-da!! Sprouted lentils...
So, once they had finished sprouting, I gave them one final rinse and cooked them. Sally Fallon is correct in her book that sprouting does cut down on cooking time! On some sites I read that you don't need to cook the sprouted lentils but I did this time around. Next time, I might try them raw.

Once you've got them sprouted and cooked (if you want), you can add them to salads, sandwiches, soups, etc. They'll be a delicious and nutritious addition to many different meals! From what I've read on various websites including this one, they'll keep for about seven days in the refrigerator.

Also, if you decide to do some sprouting yourself, be very sure you keep rinsing them while you are waiting for the sprouts to get to the desired length. Fallon recommends rinsing at least twice a day but you can do more as well. The reason for rinsing is to prevent mould/slime growth. No one wants that! YUCK!!

So, while I wait for the kidney beans to sprout, I decided I would attempt to sprout quinoa as well. The process is fairly simple and hey, it results in a more nutritious and flavourful food! Sounds like a good deal to me.

Enjoy the weekend!!

Namaste.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment