Thursday, April 11, 2013

Sprouting Day 2 (Plus what's currently cookin' in the kitchen...)

So, yesterday I started the process of sprouting with kidney beans and lentils. It looked like this:

First day of sprouting. Just added lentils & beans
to jar, filled with water, put on lid/cheesecloth. Now they sit
overnight...

And when I woke up this morning, I had this:

Day 2 of sprouting before draining water & rinsing.
I get why Fallon in her book "Nourishing Traditions" says to only make the jars 1/4 to a 1/3 full. Those lentils/beans absorb A LOT of water.

I drained the water off & rinsed the beans/lentils. For the kidney beans, I actually had to take them right out of the jar since they had stuck together at the bottom of the jar. For the lentils, I have to do this and was able to drain the water & rinse them without removing them from the jar.

Now the jars are sitting inverted in small bowls:

Sprout my pretties....SPROUT!!
From now until the sprouts grow (could be 1-4 days and it also depends on how long I want the sprouts to be), I will rinse them twice a day and keep them in this position to, as Fallon says, a) drain any excess water and b) let air circulate. So far, this process for sprouting is far better than when I've attempted it in the past. I once tried a method where the beans were wrapped in a damp cloth after soaking them for 24 hours. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't and really, it was not a method I would recommend.

Also, I don't know about where you are but the weather here it SHIT-TAY! Ice pellets, freezing rain and in general, it seems like mid-March instead of April 11th! Winter is giving it one last go, I guess. Clearly, Mother Nature is drunk and needs to go have a nap. So, coupled with the shitastic weather is also my day off (actually a few days off. Hi, welcome to the world of working part time in retail!). I decided I needed to make the most of my time today and as much as I want to shoot locusts in Gears of War 2, I need to re-stock the soups/chilis I keep in my freezer. So, today was all about the red lentil chili:

Trust me...it is delicious!
It's from one of my favourite cookbooks, "Forks Over Knives: Over 300 Recipes For Plant Based Eating Year Round". The only change I made to it was I used black beans instead of kidney beans. Thought I'd mix it up a bit.

Well, wherever you are, I hope you are having a good. Feel free to comment if ya want! I really have no idea if anyone actually reads my ramblings.

Namaste...

No comments:

Post a Comment