Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Antsy

Yesterday, I finished "February" by Lisa Moore (on a side note, this book is the winner of Canada Reads 2013). It was an amazing book, one of the best I've ever read! Immediately (and I mean immediately) after finishing it, I picked up my next book, "Two Solitudes" by Hugh MacLennan and read the forward by the author (all of two pages). It's a 509 page book and I'm 35 pages in. I'm gonna be at least a week reading it. Yet...I got antsy.

Yeah, I'm that type of reader. The type that gets antsy if they don't have a book to immediately grab when they finish one book. Now, I do have a few books on hold at the library but some of them I'm 5 or 6 in the queue. It'll be awhile before I get them. I am "1" in the queue for "1982" by Jian Ghomeshi. Still...it could be a couple of weeks before I get this book.

Would it surprise you that I ended up at the library this afternoon? Yup, I went out in the shitty winter weather to take "February" back. And since I had to go inside the library , I decided to grab another book. Just one to have waiting in the wings for when I finish "Two Solitudes". I ended up getting "Vinyl Cafe Unplugged" by Stuart McLean. I LOVE the vinyl cafe stories! Last week, I had just started "February" and went to the library on Friday. Luckily, "Two Solitudes" was waiting for me so I picked it up. I was antsy since I didn't have a book to grab immediately when I finished "February". Weird, I know.

Okay, I know, you're thinking..."Wait, don't you have books at home?! Why run out to the library? And wait...don't you work in a bookstore?". Yes, on both counts. This is going to sound weird but I read more when I check books out of the library. It gives me a deadline to finish them by and plus, if I don't like a book, I can just take it back and I'm not out any money. If I bought all the books I read, we'd be broke!

If you're a book geek like me, do you get antsy if you don't have a book waiting in the wings? Or do you take a break for a day?

No comments:

Post a Comment