Saturday, February 16, 2013

Lost

By that I mean the good kind of "lost". You know, when you watch a movie or book and you get totally drawn into the story and the characters.

All my life, I have enjoyed reading. I was always reading as kid. In grade 5, I remember getting in trouble because I would read during math (this probably explains why I suck at the subject). I still won the reading award that year though.

I love getting lost in a good book. You know, one where you really get to know the characters and you become so immersed in the world that author has created? Lost in the sense you can't put the book down? When you're away from the book and not reading it, you're thinking about and you absolutely can't wait to get back to that book to see what happens? Yeah, that kind of lost. It is awesome.

Right now, the book I am "lost" in is "February" by Lisa Moore. This novel is the winner of CBC's 2013 Canada Reads competition. It's the story of a woman named Helen who's husband Cal died in 1982 while working on the oil rig Ocean Ranger. I had never heard of this disaster until I heard of this book. Already, this book is scoring major points with me because I'm a history geek and I love to learn and this is a sad event in Canadian history that I'm wondering just how many people know about. It's something they should know about. Now, they can through this book.

I was drawn into the story from the beginning. I'm only half way through and I'm itching to read a bit more. It's a sad novel but I love the characters and I love Lisa Moore's writing style. I already know I want to read more of her books. I was "lost" in this book from the beginning.

Next up for me to read is "Two Solitudes" by Hugh MacLennan. It is not a book I ever would have thought of reading but I decided to read all the contenders in Canada Reads this year. Hearing the debates on CBC though, I am looking forward to reading this book.

I've already read "Away" by Jane Urquhart, another contender in Canada Reads 2013. This book was beautifully written but left me with a "meh" kind of feeling because I could not connect with the characters and (to be blunt), I didn't really give two shits about the characters. Some of it, I thought, "Um yeah...that never would have happened". I just felt disconnected from it.

What book are you currently "lost" in? Were you "lost" in it from the beginning or did it take awhile?

Whatever you are reading, I hope you are enjoying it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment