Thursday, February 14, 2013

Lent - Does it have to be about giving up?

Lent began yesterday. It's a time when you give up something, usually a luxury, for 40 days. If you want to know more, google it.

I'm not Catholic. I'm not Christian. I haven't been for ages (really, it seems like forever ago that I said "F IT!" it organized religion but that is besides the point here). I had a friend ask me though a few weeks ago, "What are you giving up for Lent?". Well, I replied, I hadn't really thought about but maybe I will give something up. In the past, myself & lapse-Catholic partner have given up things just for fun. To challenge ourselves, I guess one could say. One year it was fast food (those that know me laugh are probably thinking "She once ate fast food?". Yes, I did. On a regular basis. Now I will not touch a Big Mac or "chicken" McNuggets with a 20 foot pole while wearing a biohazard suit. McDonald's does have decent coffee & green tea though so that is the only time I will darken their doorstep), another year we gave up potato chips. Neither of us have given anything up for a few years. This year? Well, I hadn't followed Lent in a few years. I'm not religious so really, why would I? I also couldn't think of anything to give up.

But, I got to thinking and was inspired by the discussion about Lent on CBC Radio 1 the other day (I am a CBC radio 1 junkie). I thought "what could I give up? Or do?". Than I thought...I've really been wanting to post more on this blog. So, for Lent I'm giving up not posting enough on this blog. I know, it might seem silly but I really want to make a habit of writing more because I do enjoy writing. So, for the next 40 days (and yes, I realize I'm a day late so I'll do posts today) I'll write a post a day. It does not have to be anything profound and it can be totally random but I will sit down, write/type and hit PUBLISH.

So, this shall be entry number 1 in the 40 days of posting.

And just out of curiousity, did you give anything up for Lent? Or not?

I leave you with a few Lent-related links of the different things are happening surrounding it:

40acts - based out of the UK, a very cool thing to do. Basically, random acts of kindness.

40 Random Acts Of Kindness

Do you know of any other Lent-related movements that are happening? Let me know and I'll add the link to this entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment