Friday, February 22, 2013

Booky

Need a book for the weekend? Here's a few I've read recently that I've really enjoyed:

"February" by Lisa Moore is winner of Canada Reads 2013 and one of the best books I've ever read. This is the story of Helen O'Mara, whose husband was killed when the oil rig Ocean Ranger sank in 1982. Lisa Moore is a beautiful writer and I could not put this book down. The book slips between past and present. It is not plot driven but Moore's writing style makes you want to keep reading. Right from the beginning, I cared about the characters and I wanted to know how their story played out. I won't say anymore about it. Just read it!


"Secrets From The Vinyl Cafe" by Stuart McLean is a collection of short stories revolving around one family, their friends & neighbors. I stumbled upon the Vinyl Cafe stories through CBC radio and fell in love with Stuart McLean's story telling. The book? Just as awesome. It's perfect if you've just got five minutes to sit and read. The stories are hilarious yet I could still relate to the characters. Perfect if you're looking for something funny to read!

"The Secret Keeper" by Kate Morton is a wonderful book. Again, another "can't put it down" read. Morton is a wonderful story teller and really, if you can't find "The Secret Keeper" at your local bookstore or library, just read any of her books. I've also read "The House At Riverton" and "The Forgotten Garden" and yes, I could not put them down! She weaves a story from the viewpoint of a few characters and as always, there is a twist. As in her other books, you get to know the characters and you want to follow them on their journey, usually solving a family mystery. 

Those are just a few books I've read recently and very much enjoyed!

What are you reading this weekend??

No comments:

Post a Comment