Thursday, February 28, 2013

Thoughts of Spring...

So, spring is literally just around the corner! Yesterday, I started planning my gardening by flipping through the Veseys 2013 Seed Catalogue. I made a list of what vegetables I wanted to plant this year. It's pretty ambitious but here's what I'm thinking thus far:


  • Yellow Beans
  • Beets
  • Brussels Sprouts
  • Carrots
  • Corn
  • Kale
  • Leeks
  • Arugula
  • Peas
  • Radishes
  • Spinach
  • Zucchini
Jere and I also decided we'd make the garden bigger which has me ridiculously excited (if I could turn the entire backyard into a vegetable garden, I would...complete with a few backyard chickens even though I'm  pescetarian. Jere eats chicken...so that would be okay). Corn needs a lot of space to grow and so do tomatoes (unless I do them in containers. Haven't decided for sure yet). I'm going to plant some veggies in the garden plots in the backyard AND also do container gardening.

The garden bug has really bit me this year since this morning I went out to TSC and picked up some organic seeds, potting soil mix, and some little terracotta pots (okay, I got those at the Dollar Store) because after yesterday I AM READY TO GARDEN!! Really, I'm sick of winter of winter and this is my way of fighting back.

So, I've got the seeds:


That's actually just a few of my seeds. Most of them I bought today but a couple packages are from last year and I'm hoping (*fingers crossed*), they will grow!

I mixed two types of potting mix, put it in the little terracotta pots and VOILA:


It's nice to see this sitting by the front window. It reminds of spring and how much I enjoy gardening. In case you can't read it, I have planted so far: Garlic Chives, Parsley, Basil and Spinach. I have two more pots to get ready this afternoon. I'll probably plant some Arugula and one other herb (haven't decided which one yet). 

Now I'm eagerly awaiting May 24 weekend when I can start gardening OUTSIDE! I'm hoping the last frost will have happened by then and that we don't have a shitty spring like we did last year. 

If you garden, have you thought about your 2013 garden yet? What are you going to plant? 

No comments:

Post a Comment